Friday, February 4, 2011


Who am I? I am a Chinese girl who immigrated to the United States. When I was young, I was told that the United States is the ideal country to live and to work in. I am glad that I can get financial aid to go to college in the United States. However, as an immigrant, I am facing many difficulties because English is my second language. I have to put more effort in my studies than other people do. I still remember the first year that I went to college. I was afraid to talk to everyone in English. I was afraid that they would laugh at me if I made mistakes in my pronunciation. Later, I realized that I had to try my best to improve my spoken English because I am living in the United States.
I am a Chinese folk dancer. I have being learning Chinese folk dance for 10 years. As an immigrant, I think it is important to learn about cultures in other societies. I didn't know any thing about baseball until I came to the United States. However, it is also important to keep our own culture. That's why Chinese who live in foreign countries still celebrate Chinese new year. I think folk dance is a form of folk media. It is also a way of communication. Folk dances are a part of the Chinese culture. There are 56 ethnic groups in China. Each of them has their own movements, music, costumes, props, relevant legends, historical background, life style, customs and habits. Now, I am teaching little kids Chinese folk dance in a day care center. I believe that my students will have a better understanding of Chinese culture by learning Chinese folk dance.

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing photo. I look forward to hearing more about Chinese Folk Dance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I have so much to learn from you after this post! Who would have known there is so much to learn about dance?

    ReplyDelete