Saturday, February 5, 2011

What’s in a name? A rose by any other would still smell as sweet.


I wasn’t sure how to define “me” (which is why I waited to see what others would post). If I had to choose a way to describe myself though, it would be that I excel at the useless.

On the surface I am a blonde, former prep-school teen vogue “it” girl born into an upper-middle class family in Manhattan. I am 22 years old – the eldest of four kids – and a bit of an anglophile. I went to private school until I transferred to the Bronx High School of Science. I started my college career in a small town in Massachusetts but moved back to Manhattan when I realized that I couldn’t be truly happy in a city that closed down at 4pm.

I like to play MacGyver and use found objects to accomplish tasks. I once fixed my laptop with a set of broken headphones, a lighter and a pack of gum. It only worked for three days afterwards, but I bought myself enough time to recover my term paper. I have made crème brulee with a Bunsen burner and created a pair of acid wash jeans with hydrochloric acid. From attending the Bronx High School of Science, I have cultivated the ability to function on 2-3 hours of sleep for weeks on end. From years of dance I have developed a high physical endurance and an awareness of my surrounding. I speak fluent LATIN. Which when one is making a list of useless skills, being certified as fluent in a language that has been spoken for two thousand years will always top the list. The only thing that I can think of that is more useless is the fact that I have also been a model since infancy (where I earned the money to pay my way through college).

3 comments:

  1. +1 Rep for the MacGyver skills and being an Anglophile.

    I am envious of your knowledge of Latin, I would totally make good use of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fluent in Latin!!! I graduated from a Greek High School where it was a requirement (depending on what you wanted to study after graduation, in the university) to study both Ancient Greek and Latin! Two “dead” languages! Although I am faaaaaaar from being fluent in Latin, it has helped me enormously in learning Spanish, studying it.

    ReplyDelete