Monday, February 14, 2011

The Elements Of Me


My first response is that I am Shalana Chandler of course. Student at Hunter College, daughter of two educators, younger sister, and I cant forget 22 year old African American female. I guess those would be default quick replies. They're accurate, but those are external descriptions of what I am and not a full picture of the person I am.
To be honest, like others, I'm not sure if i know the answer or how to articulate it. Most people would characterize me in the beginning as quiet, friendly but reserved. Later it would change to silly, sarcastic, sensitive, and caring. Who I am I think is best defined by what makes me happiest and what I believe in. My family and best friends, spending time with them, seeing them happy, making them proud of me is what makes me happy. Its basically what I live for. The picture illustrates this. Its myself and two of my cousins at our annual Family Reunion over the Christmas holiday. A line from the rapper Nicki Minaj's song Moment for Life probably sums up what i was feeling in this picture the best, "I wish that I could have this moment for life... Cause in this moment I just feel so alive..."
As a student I feel that it's extremely hard to figure out what you want to do with your life by going to college. That's evident because I am an Accounting major at Hunter by way of Community Health Education and Nursing (lol). Studying a subject or field teaches you about it, you gain knowledge but not the feeling and experience necessary to always know for sure it is what you want. That being said, I believe education is necessary, and the best way to get to wherever it is you want to go career wise. Therefore although accounting is my third major choice, it will be the last. I have no idea if my future is as an accountant but as for now its where I'm heading.
While writing this, my mind jumped to a million different things that i could write about but I guess I will save that for another medium. But to answer the question, I think who I am is a work in progress, its not easily defined but I do believe that it is something that I learn more and more every day.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to meet you, Shalana. It is nice to here that your a thinker. Obama could use you in his office lol. It's also interesting that you into accounting through CHE because I initially came to Hunter to specialize in Health Ed. Funny how life has a way of changing dreams. I am happy for you and I know you'll become that "defined" you that you are aspiring to become. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete