Saturday, February 5, 2011

Failure isnt so bad sometimes...

Its odd that Ive never been asked this question in the past four years of Hunter College, and this semester alone Ive been asked four times. Its even more odd that I kind of don't really know,although I once did. I came out of High School with a plan and determination,I knew what I wanted and I would do anything to get it. But then I got to college,where freedom meant choices, and boy where there so many of them. All of a sudden I didn't know what I wanted, I bounced from job to job,class to class, person to person,trying out different things,trying to find my niche Except I didn't.I wasted three years of my life just meandering through the world,because I could, because that's what adults do,right?
My best friend,of course,was no help. Like usual,the ride or die,my twin was in the same sinking ship. She decided to forgo the whole 'college scene' and instead bounce from job to job and relationship to relationship,until she ended up pregnant.Together,we dreamed of grand adventures with her son, the great times we'd have and the expensive ways we'd dress him up. But then he was born and we forgot all about that. The smell,sound and exhaustion of reality hit us hard.The funny thing was,I loved it more then she did. I learned that I loved kids, way more then I had previously thought. Actually I hated kids in High School and had been known to call them some very..colorful things.

My newfound love made me decide to become a nurse,a job my mother had always advocated,which made me hate it.Funny thing is,I really feel like Ive found my 'niche'after all. My previous class hopping has dug me into a very deep whole,and college will take a couple years longer,but I'm happy with it with that. Im happy with where Ive been and Im happy with where Im going. So as to that question about Who am I? Well I guess Im a failure thats find her calling?



5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes we are forced to make decisions. And yes we fall hard. But we get back up and keep going. Your story is interesting, simply because of the fact that you had to stumble to get where you needed to be at the right time. I was like that once. And yes I really like your story a whole lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finding the way to something that makes you feel motivated and fulfilled cannot possibly be failure. What society sees as the quickest path to success is not always appropriate. Find the confidence to excel NOW and you will not regret where you have been.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so curious to know why you feel as though you have "wasted" so much time. Nothing in life is a wasted moment. You are young, and can do whatever you want. I have seen so many fall harder than myself, and pick up, and move right along. Find strength and satisfaction in your accomplishments. --coming from someone who once felt the exact same way :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am curious to know why a nurse? I mean why not a doctor. If you are going to do something, you should do it big. And hey chin up, at least you know now what exactly you want to do. That's better than switching careers when you are + 40 years old.

    ReplyDelete