Friday, May 13, 2011

Beautiful: What does it mean to you?


We learned a lot this semester but the part that stuck with me the most was the idea of media images teaching girls from birth that they are not enough. Media images teach girls to always 'fix' their skin, bodies, hair, ect. as if there is something perpetually wrong with them. This just didn't/doesn't sit well with me.


Having three kids of my own, it's always important to me to give back and teach them whenever possible. I took the opportunity of making this project as a way to teach not only my children, but their friends and particularly the girls around them. I hadn't awoken to the effects of media on my life and actions until this class. There was no reason for the teens around me to have to wait that long. The video I made will hopefully teach teen girls about media and its effects on teens and their body images. In order to effect true change, we need to start with younger girls. They are our future. I use the end of the video to give ideas on where to start learning about change for the betterment of us all.

It has definitely become a labor of love. I only hope the people who watch it will be able to learn something from the time spent watching. I hope you enjoy it!

http://gallery.me.com/uaclady#100017

No comments:

Post a Comment