Friday, April 15, 2011

Group 7 (Girard, Ioanna & Caroline) presentation

Caroline narrates her story.

Caroline:

My name is Caroline. Five years ago I launched my website called indiecunt.org. The purpose of my website is to focus on women’s issues, such as women’s rights, independence, feminism and politics. With carefully selected writers, we provide real articles with real facts from real sources, not like the mainstream news sources as you see today. This gave us credibility and popularity. Since the site launched, we accumulated many loyal followers who believes in what my site stands for. I have depended on their donations and the right advertisements to keep my site running. I am looking to expand site by bringing in investors to keep my site running, better pay for my workers and to send my message across on a global level. Right now my website has a consistent 500,000 visitors a month. I’ve realized that it has the potential to reach millions. I have invited two potential investors to come meet with me today.

Girard comes in Caroline’s office.

Girard:

Hi, the names’ Girard Tecson.

Caroline:

Hi there!

Girard’s phone rings.

Girard:

Can you hold for a minute, I need to take this call.

Caroline:

Um… ok.

Girard:

(on the phone) Hey! What’s up man?!? Nothing much. You? Uh huh. Cool! Awesome. Nah, it’s nothing. Some broad. It’s cool. Oh yeah, be sure to record the Knicks game. Yeah man, I’ll go check it. Later! (to Caroline) Sorry about that.

Caroline:

Wow.

Girard:

The name’s Girard Tecson, but you can call me G-Money lil’ lady. Let me tell you something about myself. I am one of the best Marketing investors at the Fox Corporation right now. Straight from graduating at Harvard, I seek to play with the big boys and landed a spot in one of the biggest media conglomerate News Corporation in the world. Like me, you should aim high, like in the stars you see at night, reach out for it. Because here at Fox, we got what you need. Money to grow, the power and the influence that you will need to grow beyond the U.S., but instead, international.

Caroline:

Wow, that’s a lot to swallow.

Girard:

That’s what she said. Excuse my humor.

Caroline:

Ewww.

Girard:

As you see, YOU need US. Everything will work out fine with just a tiny bit change in creative control for your company. We need the seek the demands of the people, give the people what they want. I got the right people to make those change.

Caroline:

That’s what I’m worried about. I don’t want to change anything in my company because you might taint the message I’m trying to convey. Let me think about it since I am meeting with one more person.

Ioanna comes in.

Girard:

Oh, who invited the hooker? *laughs*

Ioanna gives Girard the finger.

Ioanna:

My name is Ioanna and I own a small independent marketing investment firm. My purpose is to help small, female-minority, owned companies by investing in them and have them grow as they set their goals in check. Caroline, I know your website reaches many female minority and I feels strongly for your cause. If you keep the mainstream media out of this, and have my company help you grow, you will succeed in having your message across. I am not part of the conglomerate like Girard here, but I strongly believe in the need of more independent voices.

Girard claps.

Girard:

Really? Really? Do you know who I am? They call me G-Money! I work for the one of the biggest media conglomerates in world. We are the big boys. We will make it rain baby! Seriously, is this a joke?!? Let’s do the paper work already!

Ioanna:

That is EXACTLY the problem! You are part of a conglomerate!!! You are not what her website stands for, what she represents! You are not an independent voice! You are the same voice we watch on our TVs, hear on the radios or read in magazines.

Girard:

Don’t listen to her. Take a look at this. (shows his muscles). This is the dream. People will go to the gyms for hours, months and even years. But with steroids they can reach this in no time. So let me be your steroids. We have the money, the power and the influence to get to reach your goal in no time. With the changes I have in mind, we can go global in 6 months. What about her? In 3 years? Maybe 10?

Ioanna:

It took years and years for women to do many things and come to the place we are today. 100 years ago we couldn’t even vote! And look at us today. With small steps, but in the right direction we can succeed in everything. Sometimes you have to work hard on what you believe in. Look at Oprah! Who would have imagined that kind of success not only being a woman, but a woman of color, in a world that is dominated by white men.

Caroline:

You do have a good point there, Ioanna. There aren’t that many women media corporate owners out there if you think about.

Ioanna:

That’s because only 5 companies control 80% of what people watch on television, and they are owned by white males. Then there are less than 5% of women that owns a commercial television station. And just only 6% owns a commercial radio stations, even though 51% of the majority of the population are women.

Girard:

Well, here’s a fact: Men have bigger brains than women. I got that from wikipedia. So what if most the media today are owned by males? Isn’t the point of life is to make it? To be successful? I have the money to make your dream come true faster than she will. Yeah, we’ll change some stuff around, we’ll have some of the most respected women in the media to sponsor your website like Paris Hilton, Kim Kardashan and Snooki. That right there is power.

Ioanna:

You’re ridiculous.

Caroline:

This is a dilemma that faces a lot of small independent media today. With no funding, where will they get their money to run their business? Is there no other choice than to sell out to the bigger corporate media? What would you do?

The skit is followed by these videos:

Bill Moyers :What's Wrong with Big Media

http://youtu.be/q1oihdDe7ZI

Margaret Cho: "Our revolution is long overdue."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4XP7KvIecI&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment