Monday, January 31, 2011

Who do I think I am?


I’m a 32 year old man who doesn’t not a drink, doesn’t do drugs, doesn’t steal, doesn’t kill, and I live with my dad. A year ago I was caregiver to my friend in the last three years of his life, I knew him for thirteen years. I walked away from college, because I was doing the right thing by caring for him. I don’t regret this because that is what you do when have a good friend who believes in you and knows that you can’t fail. It’s what you do when you don’t want to watch their life disappear in disabled home. It was during that time he taught me some things which make me who I am today. He taught me to do everything from your heart and always have good intentions behind it, even if others think that it’s strange or unheard of. He taught me that you have to have faith in your abilities, and the rest comes with ease. The last of the many things he taught me was always to be self-sufficient, or else you never get where you need to be. He passed in 2009, I was lost and confused, but I never forgot what he taught me.

I’m a person who lives in the moment, and is not afraid to say what is needed to be said. I like to read comic books so understand the simplicity and complexity of good and evil, and even in comics there is a grey area. I try to have sense of humor, because laughing is better that crying. I’m a man who is human being, not just a guy, because sometimes it’s good to be humane. I believe in risking life and limb to protect your friends and family, and knowing that they always have your back. I also think that you have to look out for number one too, when it comes to survival in a fucked up world. I believe traditions are important to me, but not to the extent that it hurts people or dehumanizes them. I like playing xbox360 just to disconnect, because everybody has a disconnection. I’m a person that believes that life is one huge playground, but you have to understand that you have to have fun. Yes, I don’t take life so seriously, because I use my heart and mind together and not separately. If I wore my heart on my sleeve someone can easily bump hard into someone and crush my heart, and then I’m dead. I’ll be too analytical if I use my mind too much, and I will be thinking too much and not doing. I am a person who is mysterious, so people don’t see who saves, cares, or tries to make a difference in people’s lives. They only need to know that they are not alone, and there are people just like me.

I’m constant student always learning something new, and even in the business of media there always something to learn. I am editor, even though I did very little of it, my eyes are my camera always recording the footage that surrounds me. I always observe, comprehend, and interpret the world around me, and that makes me a better editor and a better person. My life is a constant adventure and new experience. I love adventure, the adventure makes me who I am, it molds me, changes me, like the stripping the excess clay off of a sculpture. I am a man who is following my dream, fighting for what is important to me, and knowing that there is always room for improvement. My name is Brian Tayco and this is who I think I am.

4 comments:

  1. I loved this post! It's great that you did that for your friend and you will never regret it. I was in a similar situation with my grandmother and although it can be tough caring for someone, it's always worth knowing that even if just for a little bit you kept in a place where they were happy. It's very admirable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post thank you for sharing yourself so openly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first read your post, I got teary eyed. When I read your post again, I got teary eyed. Welcome back to Hunter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian, I am going through the same thing with my best friend right now. He just got turned down for his fourth chance at a transplant last night and I decided to throw myself into my pathetically overdue "comment on posts" assignment to take my mind off of it... but somehow reading your story has made me feel better about all of this...

    I know that this comment won't count towards my grade (because I'm going to attempt to set this one to a private setting ;) )... but I wanted you to know that I find what you did to be very brave and that I wish you all the luck in the world...and thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete